6 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
Arafel Belator
(@arafel-belator)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

To my esteemed colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that the English Consulate has started its own newspaper The Herald.  We are still in the beginning processes of gathering stories and articles. We are seeking writers to assist and we ask the general public to suggest subjects they would like to read. Thank you and we look forward to the first publication.

Sincerely,

Ambassador Belator

Just call me Hobbles

OrlaCouture
(@orlacouture)
Trusted Member

Why start your own rather than offer payment to non consulate people to do one? I don't mean to come off as negative, but I don't think consulates should be taking the jobs that every day citizens need or want to do.

~ Orla Couture

ReplyQuote
Arafel Belator
(@arafel-belator)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Orla,

What a wonderful idea! We cannot be truly rounded people unless there are changes and adversities. The more newspapers the merrier! With several newspapers operating, we will be able to understand a myriad of perspectives and ideologies from many different cultures and traditions. While the English consulate is editing and setting up the operating equipment for The Herald. We implore any writers, amateur or professional, to seek us for job opportunities or to sell their articles. We truly want to help and not hinder our fellow townsmen and women. We are not removing jobs from people in the city rather creating many jobs for citizens without them encumbering the expense of operating costs or significantly lower their earnings. I would be happy to extend any items or supplies from the printing press to others. I applaud you for helping others create more jobs and dreams with their own newspapers. The more perspectives we have the better we can communicate and unify as a city. Perhaps you could also offer a discount for your clothing services. With the hope of more newspapers and guilds, many are going to need clothing to present themselves well to others and business meetings. With the prices being discounted many could afford clothes and use more florins towards organizing and starting their guilds. The discount may lead to temporary loss, but I am sure but with a successful business such as yours, it could be endured and allow you to still live lavishly. I would like to follow in your footsteps and also offer aid to anyone needing a job or looking for sponsorship an opportunity to meet with me and I am sure we can come to friendly terms and fair payments. I will also offer discounted lumber items from my personal trade to assist anyone in organizing their business.

Sincerely,

Ambassador Belator

Just call me Hobbles

ReplyQuote
OrlaCouture
(@orlacouture)
Trusted Member

My good friend, I do not doubt that you and your Consulate mean well, though I disagree with the majority of everything you stated in reply to my question. While your words were long and well thought out, you fail to recognize the issues that come when Consulates focus their attention on areas that should be left for the citizens of the city. You speak of replacing tradition while continuing the tradition of those in power stepping all over those in need while you exercise that power to elevate yourselves. Once more, I don't think you mean to because I know you're a kind man, but this is exactly what it sounds like to me. If you wished to merely bring jobs to people you could have done as I did and offered to help people build their newspapers or support the ones that are already made. No, instead, you want to create your own rather than supporting the city itself. I agree it is hard to run a paper, just as it is hard to run a guild for those who are new. The answer is not to just do it yourself; it is to support those outside the consulates, so they may do it. Maybe even sponsor a guild exclusively created for the newspaper since you care so much about the news of the city. The paper is just another form of crafting, therefore it should not be left in the hands of politicians.

Furthermore, you need not ask me to provide discounts to anyone. I assume this may be your attempt to sully my character just because I am a wealthy woman. Though while I am wealthy, I am equally generous. Outside of the more renowned givers like Landgrave Kilana, I am certain I am of the most generous when it comes to non-consulate people. Not only do I offer free outfits, but I pay the fees for people to start their guild and donate a thousand florins to each new guild. However, I do not need to constantly brag about how generous I am. I know for myself what I do and don't do for the people in this city, as do they. So, before you attempt to call my character into question, I would suggest that you be more accurate about your assumptions. I am a wealthy woman that earned every florin she has from the city. As well as the assistance of Consulate who do help guilds rather than try to be the guilds. Therefore, I utilize what I have gained to support others when I can. I have not forgotten where I came from, nor do I only look out for myself. Which is why you have my immediate disagreement with your announcement.

In closing, I still offer to help fund anyone who decides to open a guild to solely work on the paper. This includes assisting with your purchase of papers, helping you receive assistance from the consulates *as they usually do*, as well as providing you lessons on how to run a business. Do contact Orla Couture if you are interested. I dearly hope you do not allow consulates to yet again attempt to garner profit from areas that they simply do not belong in. However, if you are interested in politics, I am certain many of the Consulates are looking to increase their numbers. Especially the English Consulate, if they find time for it outside their paper.

Emm reacted
ReplyQuote
Arafel Belator
(@arafel-belator)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Dear Orla,

Someone very wise told me that there is not real strength in social appearance and strength spreads from the true self. I am sorry if my previous words seemed anything but kind. You are a wonderful person and I wish to publicly state this. The first time my consulate was attacked she sent me a jacket free of charge with a get well soon card. I would never want anyone to believe that this wonderful woman is anything other than helpful and kind to those in need. She keeps her word and consistently helps the public. I must admit that the err is with me and perhaps I did seem hostile. I have been truly scared since the attacks and Lord Albert's death and coping with the stress has come out in negative values that need to be made into positive ones. I do not wish to fight with you or express anything other than sincere gratitude for everything that you do. The consulate does need to rethink some values on how to make the city prosper with our needs aside. Thank you for the different outlook and we truly wish you nothing other than happiness.

Sincerely,

Arafel 

Just call me Hobbles

ReplyQuote
OrlaCouture
(@orlacouture)
Trusted Member

My Friend,

I entirely agree, we should not be fighting at this time. I appreciate your words and personally understand your fear, should you need anyone to talk to please do let me know.

ReplyQuote
Share: